Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sick, Sick kiddo









Yesterday woke up with a nice surprise, Ryan had a 101 temperature. We gave him Tylenol because we thought it was his teeth. He started drooling last week so we thought for sure that he was just cutting more teeth. He laid down for a nap. He was really hot, but we knew he needed a nap so we let him sleep. While he was sleeping Rexer put a new faucet in our master bathroom. It was so cute he was totally in his boxers and a fire tee shirt installing a faucet, so Rex. Just about the time Rexer fished Ry woke up. I went to pick him up and I could not believe how hot he was. It was insane. We took his temperature and it said 103.3. We thought that can not be right that is way to high. We went and grabbed all 4 thermometers that we own and they all agreed with the first one or went higher. The last temperature we got was 103.7 and still climbing. Basically we scoped Ry up and drove the the doctors office. Our baby was definitely not feeling well. We went to the doctors, when they took his temperature it was 104. Ry cried for about 2 hours. Basically the doctors wanted to run every test to rule things out. They start with the least invasive and then go from there. He had a flu test, strep test, blood taken and last they had to take urine. Yes they had to take it. Our little guy was poke so many times. He cried, he cried a cry I had never heard from him. That is when I cried. I was singing to him when he was getting the catheter put in to get a urine sample. I noticed that my tears were falling on his face and mixing with his. It is so true when you are a parent that you physically feel your child's pain. It was the worst to see him in so much pain. Rex and I could do nothing to make it better. As soon as she took the catheter out I picked up our baby who a couple of days ago was looking like such a big boy. In that moment he was so little and hopeless. He had his little shirt on and a naked bum as I was holding him. Rex and I continued to take turns holding Ryan and rocking him to sleep while waiting for the test results. Finally the doctor came back in and they had discovered really nothing from all the tests. She could tell us he did not have the flu, or strep throat. Basically he has a nasty virus, that will just have to run its course. Thank God, we both sighed. We finally got home, I started a roast for dinner and Ryan and his Papa were laying on the couch. The next thing I realized they both were passed out. I soon joined them. As for last night our little guy slept between us. It was a long night no one really slept, well I think the dog did. Rex is at work and Ryan and I have spent the morning playing. He is still running a temperature, but he is happy and active. I have even gotten a few smiles out of him. I am just thankful that he is slowly getting back to feeling better.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

What a scare! I'm sorry about your rough week. I'm glad Rex was home with you when you had to go to the hospital. Enjoy your family and I will see you soon.

Robyn said...

oh....poor little guy. And, poor little guy's parents! It's so scary. SO scary. Glad things are OK...hang in there.