Fireman's Prayer
When I'm called to duty, God, wherever flames may rage.
Give me strength to save a life whatever be its age.
Help me to embrace a little child before it is too late
Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me.
To guard my every neighbor and protect their property.
And if according to Your will I have to lose my life,
Please bless with Your protecting hand my children and my wife.
This prayer is hanging in our home along with most homes of Firefighters and in every Fire Hall. I am reminded of the prayer often. It is something that I find comfort in. I know that Rexer was made to be a firefighter and I take comfort in knowing that Jesus is with him every step of the way. Rex was home most of the afternoon, but went in for overtime about 3.30. He is working with a different shift, one that I do not trust as much as his own shift. He works a 24 on Saturday. So he will be home Sunday morning, right now Sunday seems a life time away. We celebrated Valentine's day this morning. When you are a firefighters wife or child you learn very quickly that holidays are not always celebrated on the day that the calender says. I actually just opened my card, without Rexer. I was reading it and remembering all of our previous 10 Valentines Days together. Not five minutes later Rexer called. He was so excited, he had just been on a fire nothing toooooo big but he got some good action. He and his partner where first in and did search and rescue. Well it was just a search, there was no one to rescue. As a firefighter he lives for fires and as a firefighters wife I hate them. Although I just spoke with him and he is fine, everything that could have gone wrong in that fire goes through my head. I got off the phone and cried, cried for several reasons. That is the love of my life and the father of my child what would I do without him. How could I live. For a moment I was a mess, I collected myself and put Ryan to bed. We said our prayers. At the end I always say Jesus loves you, Daddy loves you and Mommy loves you. Than I was reminded of the fireman prayer. Rex's job is a Blessing, I am able to stay home, he loves what he does and he is an amazing compassionate Firefighter Paramedic that loves Jesus. In that moment I was given peace, peace that on Sunday morning my husband will come home to us.



No comments:
Post a Comment